I justed wanted to vote in favour of this as well.This special rule
that # is a comment but only on the first line is really well,... not
cool and I can't why it wasn't made an alternative way of commenting
instead.It looks much better than -- anyway :).Regarding the fact that
you can implement it via a loader:although that is quite interesting
indeed (the general idea of a 'filtering' loader) it will just create
confusion because encouraging(or rather foorcing) that sort of thing
will probably lead to several versions of lua where everyone has
introduced his favourite notation.That won't be pretty and besides it
doesn't handle the ugly first-line-comment exception.

Dimitris