Peter Hill:
>Lua code itself is a powerful data format...

lhf (and Joshua Jensen):
>...like XML, but before its time...

Agreed, but the person producing the manual doesn't necessarily know Lua.
For example, a company that embeds a Lua interpreter in its products might
produce a printed manual with the ALARM as an appendix. I think it is fair
to say that the company's technical writers, publishers, etc might be more
likely to know about XML than Lua. And XML has certain advantages: it is
directly viewable in a browser (with a CSS stylesheet at least); you can
get dedicated XML editor programs which can verify the structure of your
source document against a document type definition (very useful given the
proposed structure of the entries).

Anyway, the stuff that I already have is in XML. It will have to be
transformed into Lua if that seems to be the best solution.

&.