>Lua code itself is a powerful data format:
[...]
>instead of:
[XML code]

Yes. This reminds me of the following quote by Joshua Jensen, a Lua old timer:

  I've had the pleasure of using the scripting language, Lua, for
  years. It is a super powerful, embeddable, ANSI C compliant language
  that supports cool stuff like dynamic data description (like XML,
  but before its time), dictionaries, and a whole lot more. Expect a
  template command for Lua scripts soon.

  http://workspacewhiz.com/Links.html

--lhf