Here's a blog from someone who's developing a scripting language in .NET:

      http://www.smallscript.org/Downloads/SSharp_NET_Notes.asp

He's compiling his language in .NET, he isn't interpreting it from a
.NET-based program. Here are some excerpts:

 The simple and direct answer is that I have been waiting to release S#.NET
 for a very long time and I wanted to initial release to withstand the
 inevitable problems without being dismissed. I was unhappy with the
 performance issues of Microsoft's .NET Jitter for use in hi-performance
 dynamic dispatching scenarios ? the how and why of this are much deeper
 discussion. I chose to incorporate my own scaled-back-jitter [borrowing it
 from S#.AOS] for x86 code within .NET. I was also deeply perturbed by what
 I considered flawed design constraints in DotNet that I had been putting
 up with to get the job done, which eventually I decided to aggressively
 circumvent ? a decision which has made me mentally much happier but was
 the other contributing action that has resulted in this release delay.

 I simply could not stand the performance, the extra hoops, the
 combinatoric explosion of pre-computed classes and methods I had to
 generate, or the x86 code the .NET IL jitter was generating for the
 revised/compromise mechanism. I bit the bullet and started to take
 seriously the idea of dropping in my own jitter and re-doing the
 architecture. It was a very late date in the game to be going back into
 R&D mode ? but the pain/anguish of the work and performance numbers was
 killing me.

 Even better, my new .NET dispatchers were acceptably close to the
 performance of my own AOS.IL jitters in S#.AOS. Translated, this means
 that it is now faster than any interpreted Smalltalk, and within a couple
 of cycles [of AOS performance] on a per dispatch decisions point basis.
 The difference between S#.NET dynamic dispatch/call performance C#.NET
 static dispatch performance is very reasonable [roughly within 6-15
 cycles] per call. It could be directly cycle-for-cycle competitive if my
 S#.AOS jitter mechanisms were incorporated into Microsoft's .NET jitters.