Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

> It worries me that some people seem to have a negative impression of Lua 5
> so near to it being officially released. Someone even said that we have
> "seriously damaged Lua functionality"! Sure, Lua 5 is different from Lua 4.
> The metamethod scheme is not the same as the tagmethod scheme, but it is
> simpler and more flexible, even if sometimes you have to use proxy tables
> for doing some stuff that was easy in Lua 4. Lua 5 was the outcome of a long
> sequence of work versions of Lua 4.1 and has gone through alpha and now beta
> stages. I'd think major design flaws would be found by now :-(
> --lhf

I think the problem is that these new features are not well documented.
lua_boxpointer()/lua_unboxpointer() is a good API, however,
it's currently only documented here in the newsgroup.

As for the __get and __set issue, proxy tables can
indeed be used, however, it would be nice if there was
an example in the official distribution. And
some documentation and explanation in the manual
on how __index and __newindex work, and on how to
set up a proxy table. A Lua API would even be nicer, but
I think better documentation is what Lua 5 needs now the most.

Daniel Remar.
Björn De Meyer
bjorn.demeyer@pandora.be