On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 07:11:30PM -0000, jimmyp_gr <jimmyp@hal.csd.auth.gr> wrote:

> btw why the distinction between full and light userdata in Lua5.Light
> ones can be implemented with full ones anyway(using a full userdata of
> size sizeof(void *)).I know it's not so important but it seems to me
> that it unnecessarily adds complexity when lua's goal seems to be
> simplicity.

I guess the "light-weight" userdata is to ease the burden on Lua's
internals whenever necessasry, i.e., no meta table bookkeeping
stuff.

However, my biggest complaint of lua5 is now there seems no way to
define a "heavy-weight" userdata without using Lua's memory allocation
method. I can no longer define a GC method for pure C pointers.
When it occurred to me almost impossible to convert my program to
Lua5, I'd still stick with Lua4 for now.

Or I could be wrong on this, can somebody enlighten me please?

Regards,
.paul.