[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- Subject: Re: Tolua is great, but is fast?
- From: Christian Vogler <cvogler@...>
- Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:13:51 -0500
> Great tool is tolua!
> My question is abou performance: Is someone using tolua in real
> projects? (games, applications)
if you consider a large computer vision tracking framework a "real"
application, then yes. In our experience, the function call overhead
of tolua is not insubstantial. The type checking, especially in
overloaded functions, can take up some time, so I do not recommend
calling a tolua function in a tight, inner loop.
The other thing is that the ownership handling mechanism of tolua is
very slow. In its current form, it forces a garbage collection every
single time that you take ownership of an object. The implications
for time-critical code are:
1. Avoid return by value functions, except for primitive data types,
because these imply taking of ownership.
2. Avoid tolua.takeownership, use tolua's new() and delete() instead.