>  Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:12:55 -0200
>  Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>
>  >But still...can I get around the newindex problem to be able to assign
>  >values to my C vars more than once?If not all else is useless.
>
>  One way is to use a proxy table that is always empty and set __index/__newindex
>  metamethods to read/write from your table or C. Something like this:
>
>  C={}	-- proxy for C vars
>
>  setmetatable{C,{
>  	__index = function (t,i) get and return C var i end
>  	__newindex = function (t,i,v) set C var i to v end
>  })
>
>  The same idea works for implementing the old gettable/settable tag methods.
>  --lhf

Hi,

in Lua 4, tolua <http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~celes/tolua/> is quite
satisfactory for me.  I am not sure  if and when it will  be ported to
lua 5.

I  think, a  tolua  implementation which  is  maintained basically  in
parallel to  Lua could  save the Lua  author time  answering questions
within this\ respect (at least from my side).

Juergen