In 5.0 alpha, threads had to be killed manually with the
lua_closethread() function. As far as I can tell, Lua had no way of
automatically determining if a thread was dead, which is why you
needed to manually call lua_closethread().

In 5.0 beta, it looks like Lua can now detect completed threads. The
lua_closethread() function was removed, presumably because "dead
thread detection" was now implemented.

My question is: since the lua_closethread() function has been removed
in 5.0 beta, is there still a way to manually kill a thread that is
still active?