Peter Hill wrote:

Huh? I'm talking about the code syntax, ie number constants, which as far as
I can tell are defined explicitly by "read_numeral()" in  "llex.c".

Oops sorry, brain not active (my brain) when replying

I guess the internal string-to-number functions may use a different syntax,
but that seems rather sad :-(. I'd hope that Lua libraries would check for
valid Lua number syntax before passing a string to "strtod".

Well, this is propably not an performance issue, so I don't argue here,
otherwise I am quite interested in runtime performance

		Eero