Upvalues have disapeared ? Not in my manual, and I am using them in an application written in lua 5 ...

Peter Hill wrote:

"Pure" is a very loaded term (with some nasty connotations I won't go into).
As for "pure Lua", a language which regularly undergoes notable revisions
can hardly claim (or even want) to be pure. The disappearance of upvalues
and the new lexical scope thing (which I'm still coming to grips with) is
hardly "language purity" from the point of view of a Lua4.0 vetran.