However, to get it to fully work, I have to add a "using namespace" into the C++
file generated by tolua. Is this normal, or is there anyway around this? It
isn't too much of a hassle, but it's a hassle all the same. I think I assumed
that tolua would add the "using namespace" into the C++ bindings file it generated.

tolua does not add the "using" automatically. the tolua "module" may correspond to
a unique C++ name, but it may correspond to more than one too. the "module" can
be even used to group C functions.

I have to add:

using namespace Habitat::Core;

to automate the process, you can include this line at the beginning of your the .pkg file, using $:

$using namespace Habitat::Core;

-- waldemar