> I'm interested in this because I'll be writing a target
> debugger soon. I

Anyone needing to see working remote debugging code with persistent
client/server connections for Windows can look at my LuaPlus
distribution at http://wwhiz.com/MiscCode.html.  A bug (fixed in my
current build, but not uploaded) prevents dofile() from registering the
scripts with the server right now, but you can try it with single
scripts by running:

LuaPlus -debug script.lua

And then double clicking RemoteLuaDebugger.exe.  If the SciLexer.dll is
missing, it can be found by going to http://www.scintilla.org/ and
downloading SciTE.

Like the original poster stated, this one, also, doesn't do upvalues.

-Josh