Thank you all very much for the wonderful suggestions. I'm a tad
embarassed to confess to you all that my problem was in the download.
I did it the 4th time and it worked fine. The document opened in
Ghostscript's viewer with no problems.

Now ... a word about the book.

"programming in Lua" is absolutely the most lucid introduction to a
programming language I've ever read. I got it to open ~ 5:20 EST, and
just put it down a few minutes ago. WONDERFUL stuff !!! Kudos to the
author and editors !!

Late last year, I bought a book of similar scope and purpose for
Python. Written by Ivan Van Laningham, published by SAMS. I paid $32
dollars for it, and it turned out to be a 484 page monument to the
author's vanity. Its goal was obviously to help the unwashed
multitude fully appreciate how smart the author was, and not to teach
anyone anything useful about Python. Dreadful bit of crap ...

It is from this experience that I downloaded and read the draft
of "Introduction to Lua". What a wonderful suprise. I got hooked on
the idea of Lua reading the reference manual (also well written), but
Programming in Lua truly "set the hook". I like this programming
language!

I look forward to learning more from this bright, lively and generous
user community.

Best regards,

Joe