>I don't agree-- it's not just a way to program around the constant
>string issue.  It also provides a way to include any necessary format
>information.

For the text adventure game, you may be right (the convenience of having or
not having an embedded formatting language depends on many factors,
including the user's skill level).

>Furthermore, hard-coding the display size into the source
>code is not good programming practice.  To be flexible, you'd
>have to run the text through a wrapping function anyway.

Well, you are probably thinking in PC terms; I was thinking of actual
programs I wrote running in embedded devices with ad hoc hardware and
severely limited resources (I admit I could have chosen a better example).

  Enrico