Is there some sort of weird caching going on as of 5 Alpha on these calls,
or am I just confused?

I re-arranged my code to deal with the lack of gettable metacalls, but I
can't get it to work.  It appears that my 'index' function is only called
once, then it seems to remember the value... this is preventing the value of
a table member from being read correctly and updated, and I don't seem to
get a call to newindex at all; again, perhaps because something has been
cached and it no longer thinks it is a new key?

In this case, I have overridden the global table, providing global variables
with dynamic values.  This was working fine previously (using gettable) but
I can't seem to get it working - any ideas?

Thanks!

Love, Light and Peace,
- Peter Loveday
Director of Development, eyeon Software