On Saturday 28 September 2002 11:52 am, you wrote:
> On a related note:
>
> Is it normal operating procedure for people to store their programs as
> strings, or as pre-compiled bytecode?  I have space and load time concerns
> and would rather not keep the source files around, if at all possible.  If
> stored as bytecode, is there any support for handling byte-ordering issues?

Lua transparently handles loading either source or bytecode. I have my build
environment set up to include source files in debug builds, and bytecode in
release builds, with the same filename. Lua has no problem dealing
identically with each (except that it can't provide as much debugging
information with stripped bytecode). And bytecode is cross-platform;
byte-ordering issues are properly handled by the engine.