I think the topics is very interesting, but sorry for a late
response.

I found Lua is the best in data description for various molecular
biology data, such as human genome databases. Since these data changes
very frequently, usual RDB and XML do not work well for needs from
individual biologists.

In terms of design principles of Lua language, I think that authors
described them clearly on their paper,
http://www.lua.org/spe.html

Because it was very important for my work,
I have translated into Japanese language under permissions of
authors and publisher. The translation uses much casual style.
http://staff.aist.go.jp/yutaka.ueno/lua/docsjp.html
Thank you very much.

--- Yutaka Ueno