I'm not sure how relevant this is, but I just skimmed an article posted to the Self list (a prototype object language whose object model can be supported in Lua with tags):
	http://www.daimi.au.dk/~beta/Papers/Train/train.abstract.html

It's a discussion of a "Train" algorithm implementation for the Beta language (another prototype language). The Train algorithm is a technique for iteratively and efficiently reclaiming objects in the very old generations. I mention it, as I've not come across it before.

Ta,
	Benjohn