I'll take another hit to see whether the patch can work out
as you suggested.

But again, why do you want to free up the space taken by
"NPC dialogue"? Something between the loading of different
levels? I usually just put all of them in one place, and
they will be freed by lua_close() anyway.

Regards,
.paul.