> If I understand the current implementation, it is a monolithic task
> which happens at times that aren't directly under user control.

Actually, you can have complete control over when it happens. You
can stop it, or you can force a GC cycle. That is, you can run the
GC exactly when you want. (But yes, (1) once you start it it will go
monolithically until the end, and (2) if you do not call it with a
reasonably frequency your program will use too much memory.)

> Another request I have is that all memory allocations be vector-able...

What does that mean?

> and that the "free" function take the number of bytes being freed.

Lua already provides that.

-- Roberto