> Were you referring to the interpreter recompiled with the special > defines for Windows pipes?

yes, I was referring to the pipe-enabled version.

On Windows 98 first edition, typing the following in the Lua interpreter
(without recompilation):

  readfrom('|dir')
  a=read()

reads from the keyboard. Same if I enter the above code from the command
line after -e.

apperently what happens here is that readfrom('|dir') actually _doesn't_ reset the _INPUT to anything new (it stays STDIN = keyboard)

try
> print(readfrom("|dir /b"))
nil     No error        0
(the call simply fails)
while it should actually output something like
userdata(6): 004239A8
which would be a 'filehandle'

-Martin