----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Partelly" <dan_partelly@rdsor.ro>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <lua-l@tecgraf.puc-rio.br>
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: syntax likes and dislikes (RE: Evaluating LUA)

> >> Can also be correctly written "If Sue is hungry then she'll eat the
> apple"
>
> Correctly ? Whats incorrect in what he said ? Does it lacks logic or
> semantics ? And what
> makes you so sure your phrase is correct and not his ?
>
> Ciao, Dan

I think you mis-understood my intent.  My point was that it can "also"
be correctly written that way.  I did not say his orignal sentence was
incorrect, I was pointing out that a "then" can be added to the sentence
without causing any ill effects to its meaning.

My orignal point was that an if statement that reads:

if sue.is_hungry() then
    sue.eats(apple)
end

is a bit clearer (at least in my mind) than:

if (sue.is_hungry())
    sue.eats(apple);

Looking at this also brings up another point about the "if .. then ..
[else ..] end" syntax.  If you remove "then" wouldn't you need to have
parrens (or someother delemeter) to clarify the actual test from the
actual command?

*wonders how many times he's miscounted the number of parrens of an
if statement in C*

Kelmar K. Firesun (IRL: Bryce Simonds)