Thanks for all your help (and patience) guys. I have
a workaround to my problem, which is to add an
lua_ref(xx,1)
to the stmt handles in ls_odbc. Diego for your
reference:

The summary of required changes was to ls_odbc
a) change the mallocs() to newuserdata()
b) add references (lua_ref()) to parent objects
c) add reference to self for statement handles
d) means that explicit closes are always required

And yes the global CUR(cursor) is collected if it
is not explicitly reference locked.