Say, did you have a look at the current wxLua 1.1 release?
From what I've seen it does something similar.... (not sure how yet)
AFAIK it just provides a debug console which catches errors and you can
print to (if you're not running wxLua from command line), and what looks
like a watch window (but I cant get to work). There is no debugging
functionality or remote debugging.

The wxLua 'IDE' can load and debug a wxLua program. It can do breakpoint, step in and out etc.
Am I missing something?
Not sure about _remote_ debugging tho. currently the IDE starts a second 'instance' which it call a 'client'...

-Martin