Sorry for being a Johnny come lately here, but I have just read this.

I have used the Bob Jenkins hash function (cited in the link:
http://burtleburtle.net/bob/hash/doobs.html) in production code, and read at least
one paper by the author which gives a very detailed explanation of it (I lead to it
because a coworker discovered it was being used and endorsed in another commercial
product).  My assessment of this algorithm is that it is excellent (though not
perfect, as the author indirectly admits -- I don't have the time to go pursue the
mammoth effort that would be required to make it that extra 2% better.)

One must be clear about what it is though.  Here's my synopsis of it:

1) What is described is a hash *MIXING* function.  It does not describe what the
composition of the hashed object must be.  You just have to break down your object
into some collection of byte blocks, be it an address or some length limited string.

2) Its the fastest algorithm I have ever seen that produces this quality of output.
While it is possible to make faster hashing functions, this can only be achieved if
the size of the objects is smaller than 12 bytes, and range of the hash output is
very small (i.e., you're hashing to an 8 bit index or something) or if you are
willing to sacrifice quality (i.e., increase the odds that two inputs map to the
same index.)

Of course you don't have to use the code verbatim.  In fact for small objects, I
would recommend specialized versions that would just inline the main mixing function
and not bother with his 12 x 4 byte blocking mechanism.

3) Yes it does require exact bit length descriptions, just like other high quality
hashing algorithms like CRCs/LFSRs.

4) The algorithm has something the author calls an "avalanching" property, which
means that the algorithm will make best use of the input bits.  Actually he can only
guarantee this for the bottom 31 bits of the 32 bit output, however I have never
seen a practical application for an output of 32 bits for a hash key (i.e., you
would always mask down the output to something significantly less than 32 bits
anyway.)

Now a comparison with existing Lua code.  In lstring.c (Lua v4.x) the hashing
algorithm for strings appears to be:

  for (; l>=step; l-=step)
    h = h ^ ((h<<5)+(h>>2)+(unsigned char)*(s++));

Hmm ... this function has number "two character poles".  For example, let's say that
the table size is 256, and after some part of the string, the value of h is 1.  Then
inserting any even number of 'a' characters will map the hash value back to 1
(modulo 256.)  There are numerous other scenarios as well:  Let's say that the table
size is 1023, and after some part of the string, the value of h is 509.  Then
inserting any even number of 'd' characters will map the hash value back to 509.
The Bob Jenkins algorithm has no such weakness -- you would have to search for 12
character sequences to create such repeating poles.

So the code above is fast (for small strings) however it has questionable quality.

Using addresses with bits hacked off for hashing is interesting.  However, what it
means is that if you have lots of sequentially allocated objects (which typically
will be of the same size) you'll run into a kind of "all or nothing" risk when
comparing to another collection of sequentially allocated objects.  I.e., either
they totally miss each other (ideal) or they completely overlap (worst case
scenario).  So when hashes for a pair of non-string, non-value object, collections
are compared, say, you'll typically pay either no hash penalty or the maximum
possible penalty.

My recommendation is that the Lua people at least consider using the Bob Jenkins
algorithm.

--
Paul Hsieh
qed@pobox.com