You're right there. I'm using the ID field in the table to get to the C++
object, but that's because I'm using STL, and it encourages copying objects
around and not using pointers.

If you are using pointers, it would be easy enough to stick the pointer as a
userdata in the table, and to use that. Once you did, the static routine
would be able to access all the fields in the class (as it's a member of the
class and has access privileges) but you'd need to preface them all with
object->