I just want to go on the record that I'm 100% with Joshua (and the
others) on this. =)

> It's okay to have a bit of global storage for Lua start-up
> functionality.  Or throw it in a structure you pass in, for
> all I care.

Once again, other open source libraries have tackled this problem
before, and they've done so quite well.  Ogg Vorbis keeps coming to mind
with its ov_open_callbacks() parallel to ov_open().

> By having it global, all I need to do is change
> the values I want changed.  For the structure, I have to
> understand how to fill in all the details.  I prefer the
> global approach, but hey, it's up to you.

I prefer the structure of pointers, but whichever is chosen is better
than the current situation.

Brian