Yeah, why build your own when you can build upon Lua, like what I'm doing for my game projects? I have Meldlua which is extensions on Lua and such, and then I extend Meldlua further for the final scripting language used by my games.

Sean Middleditch wrote:
MDK2 was made by BioWare too, wasn't it?  Same company as Baldur's Gate
series... they must like Lua.

Why they made their own NWNScript for NWN is beyond me - the "features"
of that language just plain suck, from what I've read.  I don't imagine
they made it too much faster than Lua (it is statically typed, which can
lead to some more powerful stack/call optimizations).

The fact that enough game companies don't find languages like Lua useful
says that there is something Lua is missing that it shouldn't be.  All
that I can really think of tho is a) *real* multi-tasking, and b) a more
newbie-friendly syntax.

I used to think a syntax like Python/Ruby/Lua/etc. was great for
newbies, but then it turns out for certain tasks, such as game
scripting, the community tends to be more familiar with C/C++/Java,
etc.  Which ends up meaning that a C-like language is actually easier to
those poor fools who hate learning anything new.  This is one reason I
up and changed the syntax on Scriptix to be C-like.

So, speaking of that, does anyone have other examples of where a simple
syntax isn't a good as a common syntax?  And, would it be easy/possible
to seperate the Lua interpreter from the parser to allow different
parsers to be used with the same core backend?  (Similar to what I've
tried to do with Scriptix).