>About the only thing that I really would like to see is a
>deterministic garbage collector.  I'd feel better using it for more
>things in embedded targets then.

This is the kind of thing we plan to keep our focus on: a small core with
powerful services for applications. A step in this direction is the introduction
of coroutines in 5.0. And be assured that 5.0 will remove some features while
introducting some others, making Lua still more powerful (and smaller!).
Feature removal is always a part of our weekly meetings.

Specifically about garbage collection, I think we'll consider first a simple
generational collector, but not in time for 5.0.
--lhf