>>      $Lua: Lua 4.0 Copyright (C) 1994-2000 TeCGraf, PUC-Rio $
>>      $Authors: W. Celes, R. Ierusalimschy & L. H. de Figueiredo $
>>
>> I think we mean that you're not allowed to remove this from you binary.
>
>I'm not an expert about licenses, but given this interpretation, I'd
>guess that not only is the Lua license not GPL compatible, but it also
>doesn't meet the requirements of most definitions of free software.

I thought that was what we meant, but I was wrong. What we mean is what
the current Lua license says: "Lua 4.0 Copyright (C) 1994-2000 TeCGraf, PUC-Rio"
must appear somewhere in the distribution, not necessarily in the binary;
it's ok if it's in the documentation or README or somewhere else.

We definitely want Lua to remain as free as possible and GPL compatible.

I'm very sorry for the noise.
--lhf