> Now, this is serious: the code is full of size_t.
> Try typedef'ing this to unsigned long.

I typedefed to unsigned int and it works fine.  Just thought I'd bring
it to someone's attention.

> freopen is no longer used in ldo.c.

Well, that fixes that problem I suppose =)

> rewind is not used at all in Lua 4.0 (or is it?)

Hmmm, this may be my mistake -- I was porting several libraries at once
(zlib, ijg, Lua, libpng, etc.) and I remember that rewind() was a
problem, but if rewind() isn't used then I guess it wasn't Lua =)

Brian