> Due to the localisation problems I would like to suggest an official
> enhanced tostring(). Additional to the standard usage tostring()

This is not a good way to change tostring, which is a simple utility
function for representing all objects as text. Things you might want to do
to tostring include making it write out tables and userdata (rather than
just as pointers), but extra formatting should be done by other functions.
You could perhaps enhance format to do what you describe, for example.

--
http://www.mupsych.org/rrt/
Fate is unmoved by hope; rather, what we hope for changes (Murasaki)