Thanks for your help. Now I know that an enhanced strfind() which
accepts pattern tables is the best solution.

1. Only one place - better for later speed enhancements
2. Enhancement is useable for further jobs too

And if speed should be a problem then I can always think again about a
local performant solution. Also think the suggestion to preprocess the
string isn't much faster but possible include new problems.
Due to the fact that preserving the content/format of the file/string is
needed I prefer the method to check the format to use the corresponding
pattern. But only if enhanced strfind() is to slow.

Thanks again.

Markus