I was under the impression that the line hook executed merely on the switching of the line, whereas I'm looking for somewhat finer granularity in control. And does the line hook even work for compiled bytecode?

The specific circumstance I'm thinking about is a situation where you are explicitly limiting the time spent in the interpreter due to system-wide constraints -- i.e., a non-preemptive environment where you have to yield on a regular basis. On a per-line basis isn't too bad, but would it trigger on something like: for index in table do print("Index: ["..index.."]") end, where the entire block is on a single line?
-G

At 05:47 PM 3/21/2002 -0300, you wrote:
> Any plans to introduce an optional cycle limiter, to guard against infinite
> loops and things like that?  Such that I can say: lua_setcycles(50);
> lua_dostring(...); and at 50 cycles in, it will yield back to the function
> that called it with a LUA_YIELD return code, at which point I can call
> lua_continue() or do something else...

Hopefuly, you will be able to do that using the line hook.

-- Roberto