Try again...

> What string processing? The only time a string is processed in the
> core of Lua is when it enters it
The string processing that the host app has to do. Yes, I know string
processing in Lua is fast and good. I want my app to be able to take
advantage of that in tag methods.

> This is likely to be *slower* than table.FieldNameX = x when
> FieldNameX is a global instead of a string
Yes, I realize that. EXCEPT considering the tag method in C involved
which has to do a bunch of string lookups in the string key version.

So I would LIKE to stick with table.FieldNameX = x, but avoid having to
do a bunch of string matching in C in the tag methods.

Thanks again,

Curt