> this is not a
> >   technical problem, but a problem of policy. Where to put the tiny
> >   target specific module that implements it?
>
> At the meeting, I suggested that libtool be studied for ideas.  GNU
> libtool is a generic library support script.  Libtool hides the
> complexity of using shared libraries behind a consistent, portable
> interface.
>
>     http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/libtool.html

I cant see Windows or MacOS (amongst others) on the platform list.
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Tested%20platforms

> When I got back to work, Jay Carlson suggested that Python be looked
> at for ideas.  He claims that Python does a very nice job of
> supporting runtime code loading on a large number of platforms,
> including Windows.  I don't know how they do it.

Python does a very nice job of modules to be honest. I dont know how it
works either. Definitely worth some examination. Its definitely nice just
unzipping a directory structure and modules. This is what I have working
with "Rio". I will zip it up and make it available tonight. Its not rocket
science, tried to keep everything simple, only win32 currently.