> Lexical scoping only works for things literally defined inside the
>               scope. If a function is not literally written inside the
>               scope of a local variable, it does not have access to
>               that variable.

Ahhhh, that makes sense.  I was not aware that lexical scoping
applies only during definition and not execution.  Thanks for
clarifying this.  It may be a good 'gotcha' to note in the manual for
people not familiar with lexical scoping behavior: that it's still static,
and changes only 'visibility' rules.  My suggestion is hereby
withdrawn.  I'm tempted to apply a nethack-ism: TDDTOE (the dev
team thinks of everything).  thanks,

-Lucas