Good description, John.  I've been thinking along the same lines.

Would it be too limiting to assume a POSIX compliant system?  Dynamically
loaded modules in C are the only thing I can think of that are not in POSIX.
Maybe external POSIX modules could be implemented as separate programs that
provide services though some IPC mechanism (think BeOS messages) and then
just an IPC layer needs to be ported to different platforms.

Russ