Ah, I get it now.  First time I've really worked with 4.0 or later in C
manually.

Since there's a fairly 1:1 correspondence between lua code and the C API
have you ever considered writing a Lua to C compiler?  C is presumably a bit
faster, much more easily protected from change, and needed for interfacing
to most external APIs.  Perhaps disassembling the bytes codes to C would be
easy?

Russ