But I think this issue will only be cleared when we figure out how to do "global" declarations.

I'd be interested to know what you (or anyone else) thought of my proposal
on this subject (which was to make variables local by default); the
proposal is also on the Wiki, to save readers trawling through the archives.
I've heard from the Lua team that it was received and read, but no opinions
on the details.
Since it seems in line with the move to make global variables not special
(in particular, thinking of tables as a series of nested scopes, it's
natural to default to the innermost scope when defining a new variable),
perhaps it's worth looking at, at least as a straw man or Aunt Sally (I
haven't seen any other proposals yet which meet the same criteria
of minimality, backwards compatibility, and allowing config files
to be written in the current way).
--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/