One thing to watch out for here is that on 64 bit systems a
double cannot hold a pointer, if it is returned/passed to a
C function.  This is something that has been problematic for
us in the past with other things.  Of course the correct means
for doing this in Lua is to define user data to represent the
pointer, which works nicely.  Just something to watch out for
though.

Speaking of this, is Lua known to work cleanly on 64bit systems?

I will need to be building an IA64 WinXP version in the next
few months, so if anyone has successfully (or unsuccessfully)
compiled Lua on a 64-bit O/S, I'd be interested in hearing
about it.

Love, Light and Peace,
- Peter Loveday
eyeon Software