Hello!

> number of the basic pattern ("+=") may vary.
>
> how could I write this pattern in strfind ?

the lua strfind/gsub is somewhat limited. there is no way you can do this in
one pass.
(you could use a gsub pass to translate all "+=" into some single character
first)

> Could I find somewhere an explanation about the reason why
> Lua doesn't use regexp ?

the posix regexp lib is rather large. (larger than the rest of lua)
but there is a library to plugin to lua mentioned on the addon page:
http://www.lua.org/addons.html
http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~rrt/lua.html (it seems to be down at the moment?)
ah, it seems to have moved to http://www.mupsych.org/rrt/ (someone update
the addons page ;)

> Would it be possible to write complete functions without adding
> the "\" at each end line?
Nope. At least not with the simple default Lua executable.
Again, have a look at the http://www.lua.org/addons.html page.
You can find lots of Lua-Based Shells / Editors listed there.

Cheers,
Peter