On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Edgar Toernig wrote:

> > I would check lua_type, instead of lua_isnil, just for safety.

> Just as a side note: I don't like these checks for function type.
> Every type is possibly callable.  What about tables that implement
> the function tag method?  Using isnil to decide whether an object
> was given or not is OK, but explicitly enforcing a function type
> is IMHO wrong.

The original question  was about a way  to find out wether  a method was
defined in the global scope or not.

I agree that enforcing the isfunction might be too restrictive, but just
using isnil and then calling the object will raise an error if it is not
"callable".

So, either you have to deal with the possible errors, or do the more
restrictive way. It depends on your application.

Regards,
Diego.