>This has been already discuted in this list.

<snip>

Thank you very much for that comprehensive summary. I'd seen some of the
post you qute myself, but you collecting them here in one place will be a
great benefit for others too! Maybe the lua-users.org wiki is a good place
to post this too, as I guess a lot of people coming to a new language these
days will ask 'can it do XML?'

On coincidence one of the examples you listed dealt with parsing XML-RPC
method calls, which is the application I was searching for.

Thanks again, this list is a really good advertisement for Lua as a
language!
-Martin