Short update on my progress:
It compiled ok, the lua.exe interpreter works.
I tried the following script:
###
lib, errmsg = loadlib( "expat" )
  if lib then
    callfromlib( lib, "XML_ParserCreate" )
  else
    error( errmsg )
  end
###

which gets the lib loaded ok, but when I get to actually doing 'callfromlib'
it crashes with an application error, a memory violation

when I do this with a 'bogus' functionname (a name that doesn't exist in the
lib) I get an normal lua error 'error: The specified procedure could not be
found', as would be expected...

so far, still digging,
Martin