>> For practical purposes, Lua's license has the same effects of the new BSD
license, with extra warnings about misrepresenting. It is simple, easy to
understand and non-invasive. On the other hand, GPL/LGPL are confuse, hard
to understand and virotic. I doubt many people that stamp a GPL license in
their code really understand it.

I  really think you are right on the last point. I dont think a lot people are
fully aware of the implications of the license when it interacts with other
code. There are probably hundreds of breaches of licenses which people just
overlook. I think people equate GNU with free software, ignoring or
misunderstanding the GPL.

This is an interesting introduction to public licensing some of the minefields
involved :-
http://www.stromian.com/Public_Licenses.html
(http://www.stromian.com/Open_Source_Licensing.htm)

You can see all of the licenses being used here :-
https://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=14

Summary of licenses :-
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/license-list.html

The "modified BSD" license may be the one Reuben was talking about, otherwise
known as the X11 or Xfree66 license:-
http://www.x.org/terms.htm

The Lua license doesnt seem that bad. If just the fact that its yet another
license.

John Belmonte:
>> Nick's confusion is nothing compared to what future generations will face.

LOL :-)

Nick