> On 2001.09.27 08:34 jon fernquest wrote:
> > I've been experimenting with Plua (Lua for the Palm OS)
> > and it's great!
> >
> > I have two questions:
> >
> > 1. Is the source available so that we can write C extensions?
> > 2. Has anyone figured out how to read and write to Memo's of
> > a given category or a DOC file ?
> >
> > Plua seems to be the only real scripting language
> > that adheres to a cross-platform language standard
> > available for the Palm (and MS Pocket PC on the iPAQ soon also,
> > it seems).
> >
> > I'm sure some people have been experimenting with it.
> > Would the Lua Wiki be the right place to share Plua code
> > for the Palm OS  (GUI and DB access) ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
> >

> It seems that PLUA is shareware (as in not free). I wrote
> an email to the author and he said that PLUA do have an expiration
> date and that there is no source code available.
>
> In my (very little) free time I am starting a new port of
> lua to the palm plataform, that I intend to release with the same
> license of the original LUA (I would rather do it GPL, but I am not
> shure if I can do it or not, so I take the safe path). I already
> managed to compile lua with the palm gcc, but no tests were done
> with this compiled code. I am only begging the development with palm
> so I don't have a lot of experience. If you or any other show any
> interest in helping me I would gladly setup a page or something so
> that we could put our hands in the code. :-)

I am about to purchase a Palm-based organizer, and I would be *very*
interested in working on such a project. I've looked at PLUA and was
nonplussed at the restrictions involved. I've signed up to recieve the Palm
sdks and such... Email me and lets see if we can't get something worked out.
I think it would be a blast to get Lua working on my organizer!

--James Hearn