> I suggest a more flexible scheme: in stdlua.lua (or whatever the
> name is), test whether a table called "stdlua" exists. If it does,
> then stdlua.lua should define only those functions whose name
> appear in the table. In this way, users can choose the functions
> they need.

I'm not sure how useful this will be in practice.  Is the point to shave
bytecodes?  Maybe it's not an issue for the intended audience.  Furthermore
in utility libraries I've written, functions often have interdependencies.
Allowing the user such control may break things depending on the
implementation.

-John