> Currently we are considering a change in the garbage collection algorithm
> of Lua. But we do not want to slow down the interpreter, so the two
schemes
> discussed here (reference count and incremental collectors) do not seem
very
> atractive to us.

I agree completely. Reference counting becomes even more problematic with
threading, and it's problematic enough as it is.

> Instead, we are thinking about a generational collector, with a
> write-barrier on tables.

That makes sense. I don't know that it would speed things up, but it should
reduce pauses, which would also ease with multithreading.

I don't mean the former to sound like I'm a solid supporter of threading,
but I do know that it's popular. :-)

R.

(sent personally)